15 Nifty things in the Wine Country this week...and Mother's Day too!
Just way too many things going on in the wine country this week...sonomacounty.com does a great job with their event calendar. Take a look for more nifty stuff there. So put on your running shoes this weekend and explore all the wonders of Sonoma County.
1. The Sonoma County Human Race
30th annual...10,000 (or so) humans running/walking with a 3K or 10K race in our beautiful Howarth and Spring Lake parks. Costume contests, centipede races, and fun for all. Hoping to raise $1 million dollars to benefit over 200 local charities. Just do it!
2. Eco-tour Dog Hike at Kunde- You can join Jeff Kunde and his best friend to hike through the 1,850 Kunde Vineyards estate. Lunch, wine tasting and goodies for the pups. May get sold out- better check.
3. Kendall Jackson finally opens the Farm Stand- held the first Saturday of each month through October. Featuring several of our local gourmet food trucks, produce from their gardens, wine, and this week over 100 varieties of heirloom tomato seeds and plant starts are available for sale. It is time...can't wait for those tomatoes to get going. Chef Stevo will start getting some deliveries from KJ for the Farmhouse kitchen.
4. It's Derby Day at Sonoma Cutrer-
If you are into the horsies (or even if
you're not) head on over to the winery
to watch the race live. Lunch by some
of our famous Sonoma County chefs,
a hat competition, and an auction
benefitting Meals on Wheels and the
Council on Aging.
So put on your favorite hat ...did I mention there might be some wine around? Another better check though- I heard tickets were going fast.
5. The Great Russian River Race another benefit- this time to fund keeping the Healdsburg Veteran's Memorial Beach open. Some of the world's top canoeing and kayaking athletes and some just for fun paddlers will race in two separate events.
Everyone is welcome to cheer on the racers at the finish line and stay for the River Race Party, which will offer great food, beverages and live music on the banks of the River. The River Race Party is free and will run from 11-4 p.m.
6. Wow!! only # 6?!
Couple of fun things going on in Petaluma Saturday. Classic cars at the Plazarama Car Show presented by Cruisin' North Car Club. Awesome
Lucky #7. Then head over to the
Great Petaluma Chili Cookoff,
Salsa and Beer Tasting.
Music, dancing, chili, beer tasting-
also a benefit for the Cinnabar Theater. You know, we can't sit around drinking wine all the time.
Wait 'til you see some of the costumes of the cooking teams.
#8- Halfway there and we haven't even gotten to Mother's Day yet. Tonight and all day Saturday you can celebrate the folk art traditions of Gypsies at the California Herdeljezi Roma Festival in Sebastopol. I am sure you will find our gardner, Jana, there.
#9. and speaking of gardens...The Sonoma County Medical Alliance Association is having their 30th annual Garden Tour. Something for Mom at last...a sneak peak at some of our amazing gardens and the passion of the gardners.
Couldn't you just see Mom relaxing on the bench here. And they are having an art raffle...wouldn't you like a chance to win this...
10. Moving on for more Mother's Day events...it seems every winery is loving the Moms in some way. Take a look at this list from West Sonoma County Wineries-
Balletto ~ Flower: Sunflower Offering: comp tasting, special discounts
• Dutton Estate ~ Flower: Calla Lily
• Dutton-Goldfield ~ Flower: Mums Offering: comp tasting, 15% savings on our white wines for the day.
• Freestone: Flower ~ Red Roses Offering: 20% off on a mix and match case of 2007 Freestone Pinot Noir and 2007 Ovation Chardonnay
• Graton Ridge ~ Flower: Alstroemeria
• Hanna ~ Flower: Colored Roses Offering: comp tasting, 15% off our white wines and Rose’.
• Iron Horse ~ Flower: various from Barry Sterling's personal garden Offering: 10% discount on all non reserve wines for Mother's Day
• Marimar Estate ~ Flower: Irises, comp tasting, special Offer
• Red Car ~ Flower: Offering: comp tasting, Mother's Day Gift Package which will include our Boxcar Rose, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir. Price is $55, normally retails at $65.
• Russian River ~ Flower: Gerber Daisy
• Taft Street ~ Flower: Spray Roses Offering: Special Discounts
By the time you get done in this little corner of the wine country you will have a full Mother's Day bouquet.
11. Mother's Day Open Garden at Russian River Rose Co. in Healdsburg. 999+ varieties of roses in full bloom and a special little something for Mom too.
12. Another plant sale and tours at
Luther Burbank Gardens. Free corsages for the ladies and you can buy a special plant to take home with you. Luther Burbank believed Sonoma County was a chosen spot and very special...I would have to agree.
13. Mother's Day Brunches at just about every restaurant in town.
There you go Mom- no cooking, no cleaning...just enjoy your day.
14. I have a feeling this one might be sold out but cannot leave out Safari West and "WildaboutMOM!"
Mimosa Brunch in the Sonoma Serengheti and a tour on the African Queen. Must be lots of babies being born around this time of year.
15. Now I would like to introduce you to one of our favorite wineries that always take extra special care of our Farmhouse guests. Maybe not for Mother's Day (you need a reservation for the wine & food pairing) but next time you are out and about plan a stop at Arista Winery.
Just close your eyes and imagine sitting in an open air pavilion surrounded by vineyards, sustainable gardens, and majestic oak trees.
Now imagine tasting beautiful Pinot Noirs paired with amazing food. Open your eyes - You are here at Arista and their breathtaking Japanese inspired water gardens.
Chef Billy Oliver has joined forces with the McWilliams family to create the ultimate food and wine pairing in Sonoma County (So worth it at $50/person). If Michelin Stars were awarded to wineries they would definitely have one.
You'll have to take the terrific Hummer tour around
the vineyards...they will educate you on viticulture, history and winemaking.
Then stop into the tasting room and say hello to their beloved winery dog, Coco. And coming soon...
May 28th Pinot & Paella at Arista
Nationally recognized paella master, Chef Gerard Nebesky, will be pairing his famous paellas with their most recent wine releases. Don't miss out on this annual afternoon of great wine, food and music! Can't Wait!
So that's the wine country this week. My mom is no longer with us but I wish all the mom's the very best of Mother's Days...What did you do for your mom this week?